When installing SageCRM, the option "Existing Microsoft SQL Server" may not be available. This solution discusses how to install Microsoft (MS)SQL client tools on the application server in order to connect to a separate database server.
You can install MS SQL Client Tools from the MS SQL Server CD in order to connect to a database server on another machine.
Using MS SQL Server 2005
In the MS SQL 2005 CD, double-click setup.exe to initiate setup, then perform the following steps:
- Select "I accept the licensing terms and conditions" then click Next.
- Click Install if prompted to install any prerequisites.
- Enter registration information then click Next.
- In the Components to Install area, select the option "Workstation Component, Books Online, development tools", then click Next.
- Follow the rest of the wizard to complete the installation.
Installing the Connectivity Component only will not be sufficient. You must also install Management Tools in order to be able to connect to an existing MS SQL Database server on another machine.
Using MS SQL Server 2008
In the MS SQL 2008 Server CD, double-click setup.exe to start the SQL Server Installation Center. Then perform the following steps:
- Click Installation from the left pane.
- Select the "New SQL server stand-alone installation or add features to an existing installation" option from the right pane. You will then be prompted to complete the following:
- Setup support files
- Enter the product key
- Agree to License Terms
- Upon performing the above steps, select the following feature on the Feature Selection window:
Client Tools Connectivity and Management Tools - Basic.
- Click Next and follow the rest of the on screen instructions to complete the wizard.
When carrying out the above, you have the option to install Management Tools - Complete. This installs advanced features that are not required for a SageCRM installation.
You may have to go through a number of built-in setup rule check screens in between the steps outlined above.
After performing the above, the machine should have the necessary tools to connect to an existing MS SQL Database server. You will now be able to select the option "Existing MS SQL server" during the Sage CRM installation wizard.