Spell Checking in Sage CRM 6.2

Hints, Tips and Tricks

Technical Hints Tips and Tricks that cover customization and development using Sage CRM. API usage and coding are covered.

Spell Checking in Sage CRM 6.2

• Comments 1
Sage CRM 6.2 added a wysiwyg editor and an integrated spell checker to its internal email client. Below are some of the questions I've been asked about the spell checker.  If you are a development partner, please fell free to comment at the end of this article to add more points.

Q) Did Sage write the spell checker?

A) It is licensed from another company.  See http://www.jspell.com 

Q)  Is a separate dictionary set installed for each instance of CRM on a server? 

A) Yes.  I have several installs of CRM on my laptop that I use for development and presenting.  Each install has a separate set of dictionaries.  So if for one of my installs (CRM62a) I 'learn' a new word 'trebulous', it will not appear in the additional wordl list of any other install e.g. CRM62b.  This is because of the use of cookies to store the learnt words.

Q) Are multiple languages supported?

A) Yes.  If the users default language is US English then they use the US English lexicon, and it the user has German as their language then they use the German lexicon.

Q) Does each user have his or her own dictionary?

A) YES and No.  The JSpell Spell Checker that has been implemented within the email editor has the ability to 'Learn' certain words in a way similar to the Learn feature of traditional word processor spell checkers.  However in the Sage CRM email Spell Checker the learning of words is carried out using client side cookies.   This has a number of pros and cons associated with it.

This allows the Sage CRM user to stop certain words from being flagged as errors.  However, because this feature is implemented using client side cookies, if the user changes computers or erases the cookies from their machine then the words will no longer be saved. 

Also the learnt words for each language within an install are shared for all users working with the same client machine.  Therefore on an install 'CRM62a', if the Administrator (Admin) adds a word 'trebulate' to the US English lexicon then if Susan Maye (MayeS) as another US English user logons onto CRM from the same client machine, she will have the word available to them in her spell checker.

This use of cookies has advantages, in that the central dictionary does not get corrupted when a user ‘learns’ an incorrect word.

Comments
  • Jeff,

I just saw this post also about Spell Checking in CRM. What is your current take on the best way to incorporate spell checking in CRM?