MailChimp - An Introduction (Part 7 of 7)

Hints, Tips and Tricks

Technical Hints Tips and Tricks that cover customization and development using Sage CRM. API usage and coding are covered.

MailChimp - An Introduction (Part 7 of 7)

• Comments 15
This is the final part of the series and in this article I will look at the types of results and reports that are returned from MailChimp into Sage CRM.

Within Sage CRM there is a scheduled job that retrieves the results of the campaign from the MailChimp server. This job is scheduled by default to run every hour.

If you are very impatient and want to know almost minute by minute whether people are reading your emails then you can also force a fetch of the data by clicking on the refresh button.

There is also an additional full synchronisation that runs every 24 hours that fetches data such as opt outs.

All this behaviour is all controlled by settings within the custom_sysparams table.

The report that we see within Sage CRM is a summary of the information displayed within the MailChimp screens.

If you want to know more about your subscribers and where they and how they interacted with you email there you can always see this within the MailChimp interface. Here you can see where my correspondents were who opened the emails.

Within the Sage CRM screens however you can see all of the key information about a campaign.

You can see how many people have opened the email, who clicked links within the message and how many subscribers bounced and which people chose to unsubscribe.

Each of the main totals are hyperlinks that can be followed to reveal the names of those contacts in Sage CRM who have interacted with the message you sent.

From each result-set for every campaign you create you can create another Group. This group in turn can be saved and then sent to MailChimp to create a segment that targets those subscribers who are most likely to take the action that you desire.

I found the integration very easy to setup and configure. The export of group information to MailChimp works like a charm and the creation of the campaign is so quick and simple.

Comments
  • Hi Jeff,

Useful articles, should a communication be created for each contact in the campaign?

-Paul

• Quick & simple is certainly is, Jeff --- a useful summary set of articles, thank you.

• Paul

Thanks for the comment.  The integration with MailChimp has been kept to the essentials and the fact that the a contact has been emailed is implicit in the group membership.  The details of the email, the template used, is kept in MailChimp.  

• Hi Jeff

Thanks for this - just a quick question, will a communication record be saved under each contact record that a MailChimp Campaign was sent to, a bit like the Swiftpage integration does?

• I think, Sufyan, Jeff answered this directly above your question ...

• Hi Jeff, the first of your 7 articles says that one of the integration features is:

• Send the campaign and automatically add a communication record to the relevant records in Sage CRM

Am I misunderstanding something?

-Paul

• Jeff -- I have the same question.  Without this, I don't think it paints a complete picture on the communications screen.  I see the same bullet point on part 1 as Paul.  If the integration doesn't allow for this, part 1 of this series needs to be modified.

I did see the following on Greytrix site: www.greytrix.com/.../expect-smarter-email-marketing-in-sage-crm-7-3-with-mailchimp-integration. But their post seems a bit dated.

6) View clicks, opens and other MailChimp Activity linked to the individual customers within Sage CRM via a new “MailChimp Activity” tab on Person, Lead and Company screens.

• There are two parts to the information gathered back to Sage CRM from MailChimp - the opens and clicks etc., which are reported on demand, and the communications recorded against each contact in the campaign, which get created by default every 24 hours.

The communication shows as an email out / status complete, with the time of creation in CRM (we will look to change that to time of sending) and shows the subject of the campaign. Inside the communication is a link to the template used, which is in MailChimp.

• Hey Tom, what process is responsible for running the creation of those communications every 24 hours?  They are not getting created on our systems, and I would like to troubleshoot.  Let me know, thanks.

• Just thought I would update this thread as we have just started testing Sage CRM 2017 R1 and I'm excite to say that the issue of communications not being created seems to be fixed, with previous campaigns' missing communications also being created.

• Thanks for the feedback.

• Regarding the automatic creation of communication records for each e-mail sent by MailChimp, this could cause the communication tables to grow very quickly if there are a lot of recipients. Is there a way to turn off the auto-creation of e-mails? We have a customer who wants to send 120,000 emails every quarter. It goes to all companies in CRM, so there's no point in recording the fact that it was sent. For the smaller, targeted lists it does make sense to record the communication.

Regarding the ability to create a group based on the result sets, is it possible to create a group based on the recipients who did NOT open the e-mail?

Thanks,

Paul

• Paul

I don't think there is a setting that can control that.

• Hi Jeff

Is there anyway to target recipients who have not opened an email or not clicked a link?

Also the Swiftpage E-Marketing functionality allows for drip marketing campaigns is this functionality available if you are using Mailchimp?

Thanks,

Sara

• Sara

In Sage CRM 2018 R1 we get the following information MailChimp Campaign Results

Total Opened

Total Clicked

Soft Bounce

Hard Bounce

Unsubscribed

This comes from MailChimp.  MailChimp itself doesn't 'know' who didn't read an email or interact with a campaign.  But Sage CRM does know which Contacts (subscribers in MailChimp terms) were included in the Group that was sent to the MailChimp list to create the static segment used in the MailChimp campaign.

Because Sage CRM knows who was sent the email and they know who opened the email then you can find out who didn't open the email.

This could be done using a view.

MailChimp has a different approach to marketing automation than Swiftpage.  This is something that is not driven from within Sage CRM but rather something that you would define in MailChimp.