Sage CRM Mapping Component

User Community

User Community
This group is for all users of Sage CRM. Anyone can read the content here, and registered members may participate in the forums.

The Sage CRM Blog

Articles of general interest about Sage CRM, the community, add-ons and general news!

Sage CRM Mapping Component

• Comments 27
Planning a business trip, particularly to a place you haven’t been before, usually starts by looking at a map. Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to see your customers on that map? Well now with the Sage CRM Mapping Component you can do just that. By plotting your customers and leads on the map, you can better plan your journeys. 

Powered by OpenStreetMap, the free wiki world map, the component allows you to browse your customer visually and see nearby amenities such as cafés and restaurants. You can navigate the map by clicking and dragging, or by entering an address in the search box.

Requirements

• The MappingComponent.zip file which can be downloaded from the Marketplace.
  • Sage CRM v7.1 SP1 or above (On-Premise).
  • Database server must be MS SQL Server 2008 or above.
  • CLR must be enabled in MS SQL Server.
  • Users need to have HTTP access to *.openstreetmap.org.

The Mapping Component can also be used in an on-premise trial version of Sage CRM with SQL Server Express.

Resources

Read the datasheet - UK version, NA version

Watch the video on the Sage CRM YouTube channel.

Please post bug reports / feedback etc in the Components and Add-ons forum

Using Sage CRM Mapping

Finding the Map Tabs

There are 5 map tabs in the component, they are:

• The My CRM map
    This tab shows the map without any entity in context. If possible, the map will be centred on your current location or the last map location you viewed.
  • The Company map
    This tab shows the map centering in on the company in context.
  • The Lead map
    This tab shows the map centering in on the lead in context.
  • The Opportunity map
    This tab shows the map centering on the company of the in context opportunity.
  • The Case map
    This tab shows the map centering on the company of the in context case.

Plotting a Company on the Map

In order for a company (and its cases and opportunities) to show up on the map, it must first have its location saved. To do this, browse to the company and click the Map tab. You will see something similar to this screen:

1.       The Company's address will be pre-populated in the address search field.

2.       The Pin will be positioned in the approximate position of the address. You can drag the map until the pin is in the correct place.

3.       To pin the company to its current position, click the Save Location button.

Now that the company location is saved, you can see that the screen has changed to something like the following: 

You can see now there is a Change Location button. This means that this company's location has been saved. You also have a Center Map button which will return the map to the active company.

Underneath these two buttons are the Map Options. Here you can choose what you want to be displayed on the map along with your company. 

You can click on any pin on the map to see information for that pin.

Repositioning a Company on the Map

To reposition a company on the map, first browse to the Company's Map tab then click Change Location.

1.       Drag the map until the pin is in the correct place or type an address in the address search box and click Find.

2.       To pin the company to its current position, click the Save Location button.

The process of plotting a lead on the map is exactly the same as plotting a company. Start by browsing to the lead and clicking the Map tab. You will see something similar to this screen:

1.       The Lead's address will be pre-populated in the address search field.

2.       The Pin will be positioned in the approximate position of the address. You can drag the map until the pin is in the correct place.

3.       To pin the lead to its current position, click the Save Location button.

Using the Map in the Interactive Dashboard

The mapping component can be used in the interactive dashboard to provide a map that interacts with list gadgets. Leads, Companies, Cases and Opportunities can be plotted on the Map and navigated to by selecting them from a list gadget. 

Here is a screenshot of the mapping gadget in action:

• hi Eoin Shanley

thanks alot for your info

i tried to install the component,i follow your steps but the following error is appear

ERROR: Could not create geography fields or spatial indexes. This is probably due to CLR in SQL Server not being enabled, refer to documentation for more information.

when i go to view log file give me the following in excel sheet (OK    xtmp_Maps)

any help will be apreaciated

• Hi,

After installing the component and enabling CLR on our SQL server we get the error:

ERROR: Could not create geography fields or spatial indexes. This is probably due to CLR in SQL Server not being enabled, refer to documentation for more information.

We checked the log file and it only displays:

"OK  ","xtmp_Maps"

It has also cause our CRM to crash and we get this error upon logging in:

An unexpected event has occurred: SQL Code: 403

Exception: SQL Error

So not off to a great start

• Hi Pinnacle ;

the same thing happen when i try to install the compenent to our CRM ,

and It has also cause our CRM to crash too

An unexpected event has occurred: SQL Code: 403 it seems it cause that the system cannot be see some views we are now try to fix that views,

if you want just sent me your log to check and fix

• Just downloaded the component and also get the install error regarding CLR. Is there a fix for this?

• @Jason The configuration guide details how to enable CLR which is a prerequisite of the component

• the problem happened after enabling the CLR from SQL ,,,i read all prerequisite and apply every thing the poblem is still appear (ERROR: Could not create geography fields or spatial indexes. This is probably due to CLR in SQL Server not being enabled, refer to documentation for more information)

• Hi Jack,

I've run the SQL as below:

sp_configure 'show advanced options', 1;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

sp_configure 'clr enabled', 1;

GO

RECONFIGURE;

GO

As Confirmation:

Configuration option 'show advanced options' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

Configuration option 'clr enabled' changed from 1 to 1. Run the RECONFIGURE statement to install.

The following error is displayed when trying to install the component:

ERROR: Could not create geography fields or spatial indexes. This is probably due to CLR in SQL Server not being enabled, refer to documentation for more information.       View Log File

I can confirm that we're running SQL 2008 (I can manually add a geography field type) and CRM version 7.1d

• Finally a good Map plugin for CRM. Excellent Job Sage

• Hi Eoing,

I got everything setup and everything seems find the only problem I am having is that where the map is supposed to be is just blank. The frame and the tabs are there, it is just not pulling the map.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• The problem I'm seeing with the install is due to the install script trying to create a spatial index in the Company and Lead tables. The following error occurs:

"Table 'dbo.Company' does not have a clustered primary key as required by the spatial index."

This, indeed, is correct. There is not a primary key on the Company or Lead tables.

Am I missing something as it would see there have been some successful installations?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

• Hi,

We are in the process of changing the component so it doesn't fail on installs where there are no indexes. We will post it up as soon as possible.

regards,

Eoin

• The map does not drill down to streets in Australia and returns no address when records have a state  . We have contacted the map provider and they say that the maps for Australia will not be available for a couple of years ??? Is anything being done to resolve this ?

• Hi WalkerR,

When I go to www.openstreetmap.org, I can zoom to street level in Australia.

In CRMm I can search for "Stafford Street, Brisbane" and I get a result, but for some reason I don't get a result if I search for "Stafford Street, Brisbane, Australia".

When you search for an address in this component, the text box at the top of the page with the address is editable. Perhaps you could try different variations of the address to see which format gives you a result?

regards,

Eoin

• Hi all,

An updated version of the component has been uploaded to the marketplace

community.sagecrm.com/.../edit.aspx

Please download it and try again. You will see the error message below if the indexes are not present, but this will not cause the installation to fail.

"Could not create spatial indexes.  This is likely due to a lack of a required clustered primary key index on the company and lead tables.  Mapping will still work but may be slow."

Thank you for your patience,

Eoin

Please use the dedicated components forum for future bug reports / feedback

community.sagecrm.com/.../143.aspx

• Hi Eoin

Thanks for that , however if you when the address is being construcyed from the company or person tab , that means a Country cannot be present or it will return false results ?

Thanks